Between football practices, cheer practices, meetings, doctor appointments, the gym, on top of all the crap at home that I've been
The up-side is that I have managed to fit in 3 new books in between the chaos, and I'm so, so thankful that I've had the time to read, even if I haven't had the time to do much else.
I love reading, and I've missed it.
So, what's new here?
Well, my darling husband's unemployment compensation is finally nearing its end, and since he still hasn't heard from his employer regarding call-backs, he went and found a job to hold us over.
- My idiot family members who believe that unemployment compensation is akin to, and I quote, "Living off the taxpayers' dollars," will finally shut the fuck up.
- In 3 months, we'll all have health insurance once again.
- Our tax return won't suck next year.
- He's still got another 3 years until his call-back period is up for his old job, and his going back to work somewhere else in the interim has no effect whatsoever on his status with his old job.
- We're taking a household income cut, because this job will pay less than unemployment, and way less than hubby's old job, plus we'll be incurring more expenses, such as for commuting and health insurance.
- Hubby is going to see less of the kids, who have all gotten really used to having him around all the time.
- The shift sucks ass. He'll be working 12-hour overnight shifts (6:00 PM - 6:00 AM), 2 days on, 2 days off, 3 days on, and 3 days off. Ugh.
- Two words: Mandatory. Overtime.
So that's one thing that's new.
My 12-yo's right big toenail fell off. Well, not exactly fell off. See, someone stepped on it during football practice, and even though my 12-yo was wearing his cleats (of course), the kid who stepped on his foot was also wearing cleats. Ouch. Then, my 12-yo stubbed the same toe that was stepped on, and it knocked the entire nail loose.
Of course, he neglected to tell me about any of this.
Then, he and his 7-yo brother were rough-housing, and somehow the nail got bent backwards. As in, the entire nail got bent all the way backwards, and it was only still attached by about 3/4 of the nail, right near the cuticle.
It looked like the lid of a box hinged open.
It was probably the most disturbing thing I've ever seen.
I hate feet.
There was no blood, and the doctor pronounced the nail DOA when we arrived in his office. He cut it the rest of the way off, slapped a Band-Aid on it, and told us that by Christmastime, he'd probably have about 1/2 a new nail grown back.
Eww. Eww. Eww.
On a happier, less disgusting note, I've lost about 10 lbs this past week.
I've got a LOOOOOOOOOONG way to go, but it's a start.
I'm using this app on my phone called My Fitness Pal, and it helps you keep track of your calorie intake. You input your current weight, how much you want to lose, and it recommends how many calories you should be eating/drinking per day.
I can be consuming up to 1520 calories per day . . . though I'm trying to keep it 1200, instead. It amazes me how easy this is to do by really piling on the fresh veggies, and cutting out simple things, like egg yolks, ice cream, and alcohol!
I'm drinking a ton of water, doing a lot of aqua exercising (both at home and at the gym), eating a ton of salads, and I feel great!
I love how I can scan the bar code on most of my food -- the code on the package of salad greens, the code on the package of grape tomatoes, the code on my salad dressing bottle, etc. -- and the app tells me exactly how much a serving is, how many calories it is, and then saves it all so I don't have to keep inputing it day after day.
These 10 lbs came off with very little effort on my part. I mean, seriously . . . even the exercising hasn't been much of an effort! It amazes me how little all this swimming and aqua aerobics feels like exercise. And even the dieting hasn't been all that difficult. As long as I keep drinking a ton of water, I'm not really hungry between meals, and cutting out desserts has really curbed my cravings for sweets.
Not that I plan to deprive myself for the rest of my life, mind you.
Moderation! Moderation! Moderation!
Okay . . . enough of that shit.
I need to go throw something together for a quick dinner, because the 7-yo has football at 6:00 PM. I'm also really behind on laundry, so I need to do some of that, and my aunt is on her way here now to come swimming with us.
Busy, busy, busy. Busy as a bee.
Hopefully, I'll have some more time tomorrow to sit down and catch up with you all. I miss reading you guys! Maybe I'll take my laptop to football practice . . .
Christ, I hope there's service at the field!
If not . . . until tomorrow!